User Count Overall: 39

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 18
Members Members: 0
Total Total: 18

Online Now Online Now:
Wizardwrx
Viruswarn banner

Welcome to the Viruswarning forums.  All your original content has been ported to the new forums as  well as new content and additional opportunities to interact with the authors of Viruswarn.com.  You can always access old content at www.leedrake.com/forum .  You may find some formatting was lost in the conversion and the older versions of the posts to be more readable....

But at least it's all here.

Enjoy!

Viruswarn Forums
Subject: 2007 Time Zone Update for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems

You are not authorized to post a reply.   
Author Messages
David Gray

12/16/2006 5:39 PM  

What Is it?

As stated in "2007 Time Zone Update for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems," at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928388:

Starting in the spring of 2007, daylight saving time (DST) start and end dates for the United States will transition to comply with the Energy Policy Act of 2005. DST dates in the United States will start three weeks earlier (2:00 A.M. on the second Sunday in March) and will end one week later (2:00 A.M. on the first Sunday in November).

Although I became aware of this change several months ago, I expected it to appear as a critical update, which would ensure that it was installed in the normal course of things as part of a normal patch distribution. Therefore, I was astonished to learn yesterday that it is listed as an optional update on Windows Update, which you or I might easily have missed until well after the changes are slated to go into effect.

The Daylight Saving Time settings discussed by this article affect the setting of the system clock, which , in turn, affects such things as date stamps on files stored on your local hard disk, time stamps on email messages sent from your computer, and calendar appointments in Microsoft Outlook, Novell GroupWise, and other calendar programs. In short, anything that depends upon the time of day might be adversely affected unless you update your computer.

What Should You Do?

As with yesterday's bulletin, the action required depends on the version of Microsoft Windows you use.

Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP

A supported update of the time zone tables, which are kept in the Windows Registry, is available for the following versions of Microsoft Windows.

• Visit the Windows Update Web site at http://update.microsoft.com/.
  • Click the Custom button to select from optional and high-priority updates for Windows and other programs.
  • When the list of updates is presented, scroll down to the Optional Software Updates section, and check the item labeled "Update for Windows XP (KB928388)" or "Update for Windows 2003 (KB928388)" (depending on your version of Windows).
  • Click the "Review and Install Updates" link and proceed with the installation.

If you have many computers to update, including machines that are not normally connected to the Internet, the Microsoft Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928388 contains links to download packages for all supported versions of Windows that need the update.

Windows Vista

Since these updates are included in Windows Vista, there is nothing to do.

Older Windows Versions (Windows 2000, NT, ME, 98, 95)

Since the article says nothing, whatsoever, about earlier versions of Windows, all of which have reached the end of their extended support commitments, it is fair to say that users of older versions of Microsoft Windows are on their own.

If you are still using an older version of Microsoft Windows, and cannot upgrade, please seek professional help.

References

David Gray, MBA, Chief Wizard
WizardWrx, formerly P6 Consulting
WizardWrx Logo V: +1 (817) 812-3041
TZ: USA Central, GMT -6
E: dagray@wizardwrx.com
W: www.wizardwrx.com
5006 Cloyce Court
North Richland Hills, TX 76180-6944
USA
20 Years of Experience & Independence - 1985-2005
Tell me what you need, and I’ll conjure it.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Forums > Viruswarning Forum > Viruswarning archive > 2007 Time Zone Update for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems

ActiveForums 3.6
  Register or Login

Forgot Password ?
Copyright 2006 by OS-Cubed, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement